The Poplar Field

The Poplar-Field (1784)

by William Cowper

 

The poplars are fell’d, farewell to the shade
And the whispering sound of the cool colonnade,
The winds play no longer, and sing in the leaves,
Nor Ouse on his bosom their image receives.
 
Twelve years have elaps’d since I last took a view
Of my favourite field and the bank where they grew,
And now in the grass behold they are laid,
And the tree is my seat that once lent me a shade.
 
The blackbird has fled to another retreat
Where the hazels afford him a screen from the heat,
And the scene where his melody charm’d me before,
Resounds with his sweet-flowing ditty no more.
 
My fugitive years are all hasting away,
And I must ere long lie as lowly as they,
With a turf on my breast, and a stone at my head,
Ere another such grove shall arise in its stead.
 
Tis a sight to engage me, if any thing can,
To muse on the perishing pleasures of man ;
Though his life be a dream, his enjoyments, I see,
Have a being less durable even than he.
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

AFRO -AMERICAN LITERATURE:A DETAILED SURVEY by Dr. Mukesh Pareek

The Art of Gnawing by Mukesh Pareek

Role of Discourse in the formation of subjectivity according to Michel Foucault